Twitter Updates

Monday, September 20, 2004

Heartache or Heartburn?

So there's a really hysterical movie called "The Ref" which has Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey (before he was made to look ridiculous by starring in "Pay it Forward" and "K-Pax") and recent Emmy loser Judy Davis. The point is, Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey play a married couple (Caroline and Lloyd) who argue incessantly, and are having some sort of crisis in their relationship. One of the many great lines of dialogue goes like this:
Caroline : How can we both be in the marriage and I'm miserable and you're content?
Lloyd : Luck?
Which brings me to my point. Last Friday, I had lunch with a couple friends at a really terrific Mexican place. It was great as usual. Later in the afternoon, I got an email from one of these friends which said, basically, "(the person we ate with) got super sick after eating lunch today. She spent the last hour or so in the can and then her boss just took her home." So then, the question she might me ask is, "How can we have eaten at the same place, and I've got explosive diarrhea and you're a shining example of masculine health?". My answer, of course, is "Luck."

There's a funny "short" educational film on how to be emo. And by short I mean 21 minutes. And by funny I mean ha-ha funny, not queer funny. Although this film does talk about that subject too, a little. I think it's making fun of (paying homage to?) some that bands I like (Sunny Day Real Estate, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes), and the clothes I wear (Converse All Stars, hoodies, pants). This is one of those things that's funny and sort ironic, and really crosses the line to where it's so cynical that you can't tell if their being sarcastic or not. Because in order to poke fun at the things they do, the film-makers would have to be pretty familiar and/or immersed in the emo world. There's also a link to an interview with the director/writer. Anyway here's a link, click on the button on the left that says "How to be emo":
http://www.somethingdirectory.com/
There's also a link to an interview with the director/writer.
Currently listening to: Laughing - REM, from Murmur. Back before the Best Of CD, and the additional band members, keyboards, drum machines, mandolins, and self-confidence, REM was a pretty good band. When I hear this album, all I can think of is a young Michael Stipe playing at house parties in Georgia, and makes me reminisce of times I never had when they actually happened.

No comments: