Twitter Updates

Thursday, October 07, 2004

Only the young die good

Aye Carumba! It's been a while, and yes, I'm sorry. I'm fairly busy with school work, and with recording. That's right, recording. My church (The Helix - Sundays @ 11am @ The Bagdad Theater) is recording a cd of original "worship" songs. I put the word worship in quotes because the music we play will never be confused with songs like "Shout to the Lord" or "Step by Step" or "The Lord told Noah to build him an arky arky". We make essentially modern rock music in the vein of U2, The Cure, The Pixies, and (I like to think) old Radiohead. And if you come to our meeting on Sunday am, you should probably bring earplugs, because the stuff gets loud. Ok, so my point was, we're doing an album of songs and I spent the majority of the past 2 days at Jonny's house recording the drum traxx. We did 17 songs, in 2 days. That's a helluva lot of songs in a short time, and I have to admit, I'm pretty pleased with how I played and how the drums sound in Jonny's living room. And thank god for the computer, for those oh-so-few moments when I added a bit too much flavor to a song, or decided to play the chorus instead of the verse (an artistic decision, not a mistake, I swear!), the ol' compy can just copy and paste away anything deemed "a departure from the correct time signature and tempo".

I played in Lapine last weekend with my friend Jeremy Thom and his worship band. Very fun, kind of a culture shock. Downtown Lapine, if you would even call it that, is basically a bowling alley, a pizzeria, a hotel, and a gas station. The temperature varies from 82 in the afternoon, to 22 in the night. We stayed with some very friendly smalltown folks. Chrissy was in charge of the house Marisa and I slept at. Her parents were out of town, but she was a fine hostess anyway. She provided lots of popcorn, and a pretty decent Sandler/Barrymore movie called "50 first dates". Kind of like Memento meets Jackass meets E.T.

Currently listening to: Coast to Coast - Elliott Smith, from his forthcoming "From a basement on the hill" cd. Teresa picked up this cd on her recent jaunt to NY, at Bleecker St. records. This is a great opening song from a great posthumous album. I wish he was still alive. Not to be a downer, but I was pretty sad when he died. Someone once said "Only the good die young." Someone else said "Only the young die good". Get this album though, it's totally great.

1 comment:

jonny ragel said...

'arky arky?'

why that's a jim-dandy lyric, neighbor!