Twitter Updates

Friday, February 18, 2005

Speak up, Mr. Buckley!

So, on my way home from work right now, I just dropped by Everyday Music and picked up 2 singles collections from 2 great bands: The Jesus & Mary Chain, and Echo & the Bunnymen. These are 2 terrific bands that I haven't listened to, in any great amount, since probably 1991, my 7th and 8th grade years. I'm sure (read: I hoped) my mom was freaked out by my listening to bands with odd names, or names that sounded Christian but weren't. Listening to these songs right now makes me nostalgic for 8th grade, specifically one week between 8th and 9th grade that I spent with my friend Mark who had recently moved up to Seattle. We listened to a lot of CDs in Mark's room, and rode the bus around Seattle, going to the zoo, the mall, the cd store, and the ilk. It was during this week that I bought 10 TDK SA 90s (blank tapes, that is). With these tapes, I copied:

Nirvana - Nevermind
Beastie Boys - Check your Head
The Housemartins - London 0, Hull 4
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18
The House of Love - The House of Love
Robyn Hitchcock - Globe of Frogs
Pixies - Bossanova
and several more, plus several mix tapes that I can't recall

This was also the week that I bought U2 - Achtung Baby, and Pixies - Come On, Pilgrim on cd, and I also bought an Achtung Baby t-shirt to wear at the new huge public school I was going to be attending. This was the music that signaled my transition from going to a close-knit private school, to the anonymity of going to a school with more people than I'd ever seen in my life in one place. So this music reminds me of a time and place when these songs were the common bond between me and one of my very best friends. After this week, it was all downhill for several years, with peaks and valleys, of course, but mostly valleys, until I was 20 and finally sought help from a professional instead of from my music.

Much of the music I listened to at the time (8th grade) was due in large part to Mark, and his big brother Jesse. Jesse was the "cool" older brother with Morrissey (or was it Elvis? or both?) painted on the back of his leather jacket, and had HUGE posters of Echo & the Bunnymen and The Smiths and Bauhaus in his room. I idolized the crap out of him. He made me my first mix tape, but there was no tracklisting, so I just kind of had to guess what artists were on it. I know now that it was: the Primitives, the Sundays, 10,000 Maniacs, the Smiths, The Cure, Morrissey, the Stone Roses, the House of Love, Inspiral Carpets, Bauhaus, Dali's Car, etc. I'm sure there was more, but after 15 years, the memory's a li'l dim.

Anyway, Jeff Buckley says in that "Live in Chicago" DVD that nothing good came from the 80's, but he's dead now, so I guess I'll have the final word in this argument, eh Jeff? What's that?

4 comments:

Jay said...

I went through the 8th grade a little after you, but I think there's something to be said for the music we listened to when we were first aware of our own music. I just can't imagine that one day I'll be listening to the oldies station in the car, and Nirvana will come on. How can it work like that?

Sloop said...

They play "Pride (in the name of love)" on the classic rock station here in P-Town, which kind of freaks me out. I'm sure that Nirvana and Pearl Jam are just around the corner. Pretty soon "Jeremy" will be 15 years old! Holy Crap!

J. Buckley said...

Actually, it's true: nothing good came from the 80's.

Also, if you must add an unnecessary apostrophe to "80s" at least add it before the "8", in lieu of the understood "19". Unless, of course, you mean the 80s in the possessive sense — but then I don't think you do, now do you?

Alright, I gotta go. Internet access is a bitch down here and there's a little imp or something who's itching for this computer and I don't wanna piss off the Dark Lord — again. Lates.

P.S. Keep on a rockin'

Sloop said...

Actually, smart-ass, I do mean "80's" in the possessive, like "Nothing good came from the 80's music scene." Get it? It's like a full sentence, unlike "lates" you ignoramus. Now, as Morgan Freeman once said, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." But I guess it's a little late for you know, eh, Mr. Dictionary? Go to hell and die! Oh, wait, I mean, "Stay in hell and remain dead!".
But always, always keep on a'rockin'.