Twitter Updates

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Bob Dylan Marionette

I was listening to the song "Series of Dreams" today, which sounds like an outtake from Rattle & Hum, but it's actually an 80's treasure from Bob Dylan. When I was a kid, my best friend Isaac's aunt and uncle made and performed with marionettes. Among the many marionettes they made was one in the likeness of Bob Dylan. However, at that age, I was only allowed to listen to "Christian" music by artists like Carman, Petra, Bryan Duncan, The Archers, and worse. So, I became much more familiar with Bob Dylan, the puppet, than Bob Dylan, the musician. As I got older, and found out that not only did Bob Dylan dance without strings, but he also could play guitar, I was very impressed and was an instant fan. And to this day, hearing Bob Dylan makes me nostalgic for my childhood, before all my dreams were crushed.

2 comments:

ocg said...

Although the Christian music was really he only thing we were allowed to listen to, my father would (every weekend) turn up Bob Dylan and play it loudly from our basement. So loud the neighbor kids would make fun... It took me sometime to listen to Bob Dylan and appreciate him for the musician he is... and not make me nostalgic...

Thanks for posting - I love reading your thoughts!

Sloop said...

You can read my thoughts?! Oh crap! Then ignore what I was thinking 1/2 hour ago. I swear it wasn't me, I just stumbled across a web site...