Twitter Updates

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

White Trash Haute Cuisine

Wow, who knew that one silly song could get so many comments (see last post). Well done, folks, and bravo.

Ok, I don't know if that headline is entirely accurate, but it doesn't matter. Ever since we moved so close to 82nd Ave, my wife and I have kind of had a double life when it comes to our eating habits. Well, not even really a double life, but more of a mixture of the sacred and the profane foods coming together in one unholy mix of sinfully delicious dinners. Because, you see, we often buy our groceries in a feeding frenzy of gluttony while making promises to go on uber-healthy diets, so we end up with lots of foods and drinks that were never made to be had together. Because of this, we've decided we need to write a cookbook which recounts these meals. Our ideas so far:
- corn dogs and caviar
- Top Ramen and champagne
- hamburger buns and brie
- Kraft macaroni & cheeze with gouda
- wheat thins & prosciutto

That's all I can think of while I'm at work, but you get the idea. Any suggestions? And don't be silly, like Tortellini & Ketchup, I mean actual foods that you've eaten out of necessity.

4 comments:

Erik said...

tuna right out of the can and rye-krisp crackers. a fave of mine.

kazuhank said...

today at school, all i had was top ramen and i had a student who only had a bag of microwave popcorn. needless to say, i ate my first helping of "pop ramen" today (get it pop for popcorn and ramen for the ramen--brilliant). It was good as food necessity goes...

kazuhank said...

BTW Erik, that sounds suspiciously like an Atkins thing--low carb craker and protein...

BethInPortland said...

Hilarious and true! You should see my shopping list. I recently bought leeks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them--but I bought them. Jon keeps joking "Oh, somebody took a leek in our refrigerator!"