Twitter Updates

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Semi-Annual January 24th Update


Well folks, at this writing, my little bundle of joy and testosterone should arrive in about 44 days. For those of you who aren't math majors, that's just about 6 weeks. And that scares the living crap out of me. But it's also something I look forward to with great anticipation. Also, I'm not sure how much "living crap" I actually have in me. So, my boy, at age -6 weeks, already has more furniture than I do, including a crib that's probably worth more than everything in my bedroom combined. He's a lucky kid.

In other news, my latest listening has involved 3 distinct things:
1. Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted
This audiobook is great listening, although not for the easily queasy. (Try saying "easily queasy" 100 times real fast!) It's basically a collection of short stories (all by Palahniuk), but each story has a different narrator. And all the narrator's are together at a mysteriously dangerous writer's retreat. I love the way Palahniuk writes and I have to admit it's influenced the latest short story I wrote for school, a little bit. At least the conversational, informal tone of his writing.

2. Grammar Girl's Quick & Dirty Grammar Tips Podcast.
This is a pretty great podcast for grammar nerds like me. I probably don't know enough to be a true grammar nerd, but I certainly have a penchant for correcting my roommates errors. Like when they use "less" instead of "fewer" and vice versa. The Grammar Girl addresses problems like the multiple past-tense versions of the word "hang", the differences between "effect" and "affect", and when to use "i.e." or "e.g.". They're great 3-5 minute lessons, and today I'v listened to probably 25 of them. They really smartify your brains.

3. Menomena - Friend and Foe
This is the first mind-blowing album of the year. Never mind that I've had an early version of it since September (is this my nameless form of name-dropping? Yes!), this album hit stores yesterday. This is a really, truly, incredible album. And the artwork is wonderful. Like many great albums, you can listen to this one over and over again and hear new things each time. The production of the album is idiosyncratic enough to keep it fresh and enjoyable after a dozen listens. Plus, I got to interview the band last weekend, and go to a "secret" dress rehearsal/show of theirs, with a 25 member choir last Monday. Here's a review of it that I wrote for my school paper.

1 comment:

Flyingwaitress said...

You have been tagged!
Check out my post today for more info.
-T
PS, congrats on the upcoming child!!!