Twitter Updates

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Whose line is it anyway?



I just returned from my work's local Starbucks. When I walked in the doors, I couldn't believe what was going on. I thought I was in a carnival hall-of-mirrors fun house or something, because everything was so disproportionate. Specifically, the line was all wrong. I was the fourth person in line, yet I was approximately 20 feet from the counter, standing in the doorway. You see, every person found it necessary to stand about 4 to 5 feet behind the person in front of them. I tried to fix the problem by glaring at the people ahead of me in line, to no avail. I looked around the cafe, to see if anyone else noticed how bizarre the line was, and it looked like one person smirking while watching us.

I took the above picture after waiting for about a minute, and people had started shuffling around a bit, so it doesn't quite convey the absurdity of the spatial relations. I'm all for personal space, believe me, but if someone were to tell me that "the line was out the door", I'd expect more than 4 freaking people in line. Maybe everybody in line ahead of me should be wearing glasses, but wasn't, so they had no depth perception. Or better yet, maybe they were all really cyclops' and just faking like they had 2 eyes, so they couldn't see that the person in front of them was WAY in front of them. That's what I'm going with.

3 comments:

Lonny said...

Peter, when I came to this blog entry the picture caught my attention. Immediately, my brain was engaged in solving a puzzle. One part of my brain was trying to figure out the punch line while the other part of my brain kept revealing clues. First, a picture of a butt was revealed(because it is most prominent), then the title, then the fact that you were in Starbucks... I must say, in the end it made perfect sense, but I was initially confused with this picture that seemed to be discreetly taken from a camera phone. I had no idea where your post was going to end. It was quite the adventure!

BonikaStJames said...

People are crazy. I hate lines at starbucks... I mean, aren't they EVERYWHERE? Don't form lines people because they will think they need to build more. It's not good for their ego.

The One True b!X said...

It isn't just Starbucks. Patrons at Floyd's, the local coffeeshop across from my apartment, do this same thing constantly. It's aggravating.