Twitter Updates

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lousy Smarch Weather



Shortly after Simon's birthday party, he discovered the joy of biting balloons, so Moz and I found it helpful to take a few pictures. Also, two days ago, he learned how to climb up onto the couch by himself. He's a big boy. We also got him a cheap "Eddie Bauer" brand car seat which sucks horribly and jiggles a lot over every intersection or ant in the road. So, after a week of driving with that, we decided that something a little more stable (preferably a lot more stable) was needed. I went to get a Britax "Latte" model car seat. It's wonderfully secure, and much heavier and simpler to use. Naturally, it cost about 3x what the Eddie Bauer car seat cost, but totally worth the money.

Driving home across the Marquam bridge every day, as I do, I couldn't help but notice that a large stretch of the waterfront was getting bug-bombed. But then I realized it was no bug-bomb. It was the circus. Not the good zebras-and-bears circus, but the French-Canadians-looking-for-errant-rainbows circus. I should add that I hate Cirque du Soleil. I'm sure that it takes a lot of strength and dexterity to perform whatever muscular atrocities they do, but it's not for me. I don't mind if you like it; I used to work with a fellow who bought their soundtrack cds and dvds, and I gave him a very small amount of harassment for doing so. (Fare thee well, Graham, wherever thou might tread) What I hate about Cirque du Soleil is that it's intensely whimsical and people will pay $75 for a ticket to the spectacle. I've had someone tell me that "it's like watching a work of art", to which I say, "No, it's actually watching grown men in glow-in-the-dark Spandex body suits climb all over each other to the sounds of Zamfir and Yanni. They have websites for people who want to watch that, in the dark corners of the internet."

No comments: